Home Care Packages offer a higher level of support if you have more complex needs.
To receive a Home Care Package you will need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team/Service (ACAT/S). The ACAT helps the elderly, and their carers, determine what kind of care will best meet their needs, when they are no longer able to manage on their own.
A member of the team which may include a doctor, nurse, social worker, and/or other health professional will meet with you to assess your care needs and how well you are managing at home.
They will identify the right services for your needs and the level of care you require. The ACAT will give you a letter stating the types of subsidised services you have been approved for and might also put you in contact with organisations in your area that can deliver these services.
A HCP can help with taking your medications
What services are provided?
Home Care Package services are based on your individual needs. Your provider coordinates the care and services to support you at home and these are agreed between you and your provider. The services may include:
- Transport for shopping or appointments
- Social support by taking you shopping, banking or just providing company for a chat
- Domestic assistance for household jobs like cleaning, clothes washing and ironing
- Personal care assistance with bathing or showering, dressing, hair care and going to the toilet
- Home maintenance for minor general repairs and care of your house or garden
- Home modification ie installing safety aids such as alarms, ramps and support rails
- Nursing care where a qualified nurse comes to dress a wound or provide continence advice
- Food services such as providing meals at a community or day centre, preparing and storing food and delivering meals to your home
- Medication help in taking your medications
- Aids & Equipment such as Mobility Scooters, Lift Chairs, Adjustable Beds, Stairlifts and Platform Lifts
Personal care assistance can help with bathing or showering, dressing, hair care and going to the toilet
Types of packages available
There are four levels of Home Care Packages:
- Level 1 supports people with basic care needs
- Level 2 supports people with low level care needs
- Level 3 supports people with intermediate care needs
- Level 4 supports people with high level care needs
The same type of care and services are provided under each HCP level. The hours of care is increased at each level of care; more hours of care and services are delivered under Home Care Package level 4 compared to level 1.